Saturday, March 13, 2010

Buddha on the Hill



I live at the top of a long hill the stretches away from the center of the city.  From where I live I can see most of the city laid out between the hills.  There are two Buddhas within a stone's throw of my apartment.  They watch over the city and its inhabitants.  The larger of the two is the smiling sitting Buddha.  From what I can research and tell from his pose, this Buddha stands for meditation and wisdom.  In particular it is most likely a reference to Buddha flower sermon where he said nothing and simply held a lotus flower in his hand.  It makes me think of the Bible passage I included at the start of this blog, "as for man, his days are like grass, /he flourishes like a flower of the field; /the wind blows over it and it is gone, /and its place remembers it no more."  I suppose that's a good reminder to have sitting at the top of the city.

1 comment:

  1. My family usually go to this pagoda (Van Hanh pagoda) on Tet holiday, Mid-Autumn festival... :)
    It's very beautiful and I love it ^.^

    ReplyDelete