Monday, November 2, 2009

I'm Starting a Motorbiker Gang

"Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels/ looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields/ in sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one/ I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on/ running on- running on empty."  - Jackson Browne, Running on Empty.

I bought a motorbike.  It's a Honda Wave Alpha and it's a fun little thing to go cruising around Vietnam on.  Da Lat is probably one of the best cities to go riding in.  While it is a city it is surrounded by farmland and mountain roads that lend you to believe this anywhere and everywhere.  At night the lights in the city dim, and you suddenly become aware of the dim glow of greenhouse lights as they awaken the dark countryside.  Dozens of greenhouses filled with hundreds of flowers line the gentle rolling hills, and you ride further on up the road into the darkness.  The roads are empty and only the lonely drone of the engine competes with the sound of wind passing you by.  The wind is cool, and you're alone.  At some point you have to stop...You can't go around that next bend...You should head home.  You throw one foot to the ground, hit the gas, and swing the bike around.  Maybe you just keep riding.  I like the bike and I do have to admit it is real hard trying to look tough on a 100cc engine while wearing a glorified bicycle helmet.

1 comment:

  1. Don't scare a brother! I'm tempted to bring you some proper gear.

    ReplyDelete