Friday, February 5, 2010

Jet Airliner


"May you live all the days of your life." -Jonathan Swift


Jay and Ian are coming to visit.  Generally before you have guests visit one would take the time before to clean and prepare for their arrival.  I suppose I should do the same.  A more creative writer than myself might take this opportunity to speak metaphorically about cleansing one's mind and taking stock of ones life to prepare for the arrival of friends.  I think that's for another blog.  I always liked going to the airport, even if I'm not the one going anywhere.  I like to see all the different people going here, there, and everywhere.  I like to think of their individual stories and think about where they might be going or where they're coming from.  A lot of them will sit next a person on their flight and never say more than a few polite words.  There is that bit of social awkwardness to overcome, I suppose.  There are those that are just so self absorbed that you might not want them to talk.  I think a lot of people are just nervous and don't feel they have an interesting story they wish to share with a stranger.  Too often we confuse what is interesting with the dramatic and tragic.  I suppose in being a ELA teacher that I should be a good story teller.  Maybe I am, but what I like to do is listen.  I like to hear the boring details of people's lives.  It is in these details that we find the true heart and soul of a story.  Their are billions of individual stories in this world.  That's what people should talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment