Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Upon a Leaving


"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding spiders across the stars..." - Jack Kerouac, On The Road, 1957

I have found this quote appropriate when I think of my life. I've had my last weekend in New York, and I now live the tedious last week at home preparing and packing for my travels. I am not only packing what I will bring with me, but I am packing away what I will leave behind. Add your own meaning to this seemingly obvious metaphor, as I don't wish to be sentimental. I've added this quote at the beginning of my travels because I feel Kerouac personifies best what I hope this blog will become. He wrote about the American road with a passion and honesty that endeared him to a generation of Americans. I hope this blog will be half as interesting and twice as clean for the sake of my mother and grandmother. Enjoy what you read, and thank you all.

1 comment:

  1. This is the gayest thing ive ever read! nah just kidding, nice blog, keep it going and sincerely i wish you all the best..

    ReplyDelete