Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Is Typhooning a Word?


Every so often a typhoon hits off the coast of Southeast Asia.  In this case it's Typhoon Ketsana, which hit the Philippines first and was described there as a "once in a lifetime" storm.  So far we are experiencing rain and extreme winds.  The typhoon managed to knock out the power in the middle of class today and uproot a 70ft tree on campus.  It has been blowing down tree limbs all day, I personally saw one nearly hit a student today.  I don't feel as if I am in any real danger though, and all the Vietnamese seem to accept this as a fact of life.  There is something that is of constant annoyance.  They don't seem to believe in door knobs and latches here, and the front door to the building flies open and slams shut constantly.  Their door locks consist of two metal loops and a pad lock.  I live in a four-story building with a front door that doesn't shut.  Something we have to look forward to is that we have only a month left before the dry season, nothing is flooding in Dalat, and I don't live on the coast, so I guess I shouldn't complain about the rain, for now.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment